Ankh-Morpork (A-M) is an independent city-state located on the Hubwards shore of the Circle Sea. It's one of the biggest cities on the Disc, and is home to many of the characters and stories told there. It's also used as a series name for the loose collection of books which chart its evolution as its culture, society and technology change over the course of the series. Aside from the casts of the Watch, Wizards and Moist von Lipwig series, other characters who appear in multiple novels include Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler, Gaspode, the Canting Crew of beggars, the heads and members of the various Guilds, several nobles including Lady Selachii and Lord Rust, zombie lawyer Mr Slant, and the current Patrician, Lord Havelock Vetinari, and members of his staff.
Fans have sometimes called these books the "Industrial Revolution" series (a phrase now repurposed in the 50 Years of Terry editions to refer to the Moist von Lipwig trilogy). But we like to think of them as telling the city's story, as much as any specific group who live there.
Monstrous Regiment is also sometimes considered part of this sequence, as it deals in part with the ongoing political situation in Ankh-Morpork, but it's less good a fit.
Books about Ankh-Morpork
Several books detail the city itself or its prominent institutions and people:
- The Streets of Ankh-Morpork
- The Compleat Ankh-Morpork
- The Ankh-Morpork Anthology, Vol. 1
- The Ankh-Morpork Anthology, Vol. 2
Books set in Ankh-Morpork
These books are set, at least partially, in Ankh-Morpork. Most other Discworld books feature brief scenes set in the city, but we've confined this list to those which advance the story of, or our knowledge of, the city.
- The Colour of Magic (book one is set almost entirely in A-M)
- The Light Fantastic (several early scenes and the climax occur in A-M)
- Equal Rites (the second half of the book is set in A-M)
- Mort (Death spends time in A-M)
- Wyrd Sisters (a short but pivotal section)
- Pyramids (book one is set in A-M)
- Guards! Guards!
- Moving Pictures
- Reaper Man (the wizards' plotline is set in and just outside the city)
- Men at Arms
- Soul Music
- Feet of Clay
- The Fifth Elephant
- The Truth
- Thief of Time
- The Last Hero
- Night Watch
- Going Postal
- Making Money
- Unseen Academicals
- I Shall Wear Midnight
- Raising Steam
- Ankh-Morpork Series (category) at the L-Space wiki
- Ankh-Morpork (the city) at the L-Space wiki
- Ankh-Morpork on Wikipedia