Ankh-Morpork (A-M) is an independent city-state located in the Sto Plains on the Hubwards shore of the Circle Sea. It's one of the biggest cities on the Disc, and is home to many of the characters and stories told there. "Ankh-Morpork" is also used as a series name for the loose collection of books which chart the evolution as the city's culture, society and technology change over the course of the series.
Aside from the casts of the Watch, Wizards and Moist von Lipwig series, other characters who appear in multiple novels include Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler, Gaspode, the Canting Crew of beggars, the heads and members of the various Guilds, several nobles including Lady Selachii and Lord Rust, zombie lawyer Mr Slant, and the current Patrician, Lord Havelock Vetinari, and members of his staff.
Fans have also sometimes referred to these books as the "Industrial Revolution" series, but that phrase has been repurposed in the 50 Years of Terry editions to refer specficially to the Moist von Lipwig trilogy. We like the L-Space wiki's use of "Ankh-Morpork", as they tell the city's story as much as that of any specific group who live there.
Monstrous Regiment is also sometimes considered part of this sequence, as it deals in part with the ongoing political situation in Ankh-Morpork, but it's debatable since it's not actually set in Ankh-Morpork.
Books about Ankh-Morpork
Several books (or equivalents) detail the city itself or its prominent institutions and people:
- The Streets of Ankh-Morpork
- The Compleat Ankh-Morpork
- The Ankh-Morpork Anthology, Vol. 1
- The Ankh-Morpork Anthology, Vol. 2
Books set in Ankh-Morpork
These books are set, at least partially, in Ankh-Morpork. Most other Discworld books feature brief scenes set in the city, but we've confined this list to those which advance the story of the city, or our knowledge of it.
- The Colour of Magic
- The Light Fantastic
- Equal Rites
- Wyrd Sisters
- Guards! Guards!
- Moving Pictures
- Reaper Man
- Men at Arms
- Soul Music
- Feet of Clay
- The Fifth Elephant
- The Truth
- Thief of Time
- The Last Hero
- Night Watch
- Going Postal
- Making Money
- Unseen Academicals
- I Shall Wear Midnight
- Raising Steam
- Ankh-Morpork Series (category) at the L-Space wiki
- Ankh-Morpork (the city) at the L-Space wiki
- Ankh-Morpork on Wikipedia
- ↑ Book one of The Colour of Magic is set almost entirely in Ankh-Morpork.
- ↑ Several early scenes and the climax of The Light Fantastic occur in Ankh-Morpork.
- ↑ The second half of Equal Rites takes place in Ankh-Morpork; some people and events are referred to again in much later books.
- ↑ During Mort Death spends a lot of his time off in Ankh-Morpork. The plot with Keli takes place in Sto Lat, another kingdom in the Sto Plains.
- ↑ A short but pivotal section of Wyrd Sisters is set in Ankh-Morpork.
- ↑ Book one of Pyramids is set in Ankh-Morpork and is the most we ever see of the Assassin's Guild.
- ↑ Moving Pictures' plot is mostly split between Ankh-Morpork and Holy Wood, which is about thirty miles away.
- ↑ The wizards' plotline in Reaper Man is set in and just outside the city.
- ↑ Hogfather establishes that Susan now lives in Ankh-Morpork, and quite a lot of the plot happens there.
- ↑ Jingo details Ankh-Morpork's rivalry with Klatch over the island of Leshp.
- ↑ The Fifth Elephant mostly happens in Überwald, but Ankh-Morpork plays an important role.
- ↑ The Last Hero begins and ends in Ankh-Morpork, and it features a major "crossing of the streams" as some of the main characters who live there meet for the first and only time.
- ↑ Tiffany visits Ankh-Morpork for a significant portion of I Shall Wear Midnight and sees some important locations and people. She also mentions she's been there once before.