Once More* *with Footnotes
|Cover artist||Omar Rayyan|
|Genre||Science fiction and fantasy|
|Followed by||A Blink of the Screen|
Once More* *with Footnotes is the first major anthology of short works by Terry Pratchett, published in 2004 by the “publishing pseudopod” of the New England Science Fiction Association. It contains a mix of fiction and nonfiction, and most of its contents were later collected in two volumes by Pratchett’s own publisher Doubleday: the fiction in A Blink of the Screen, and the nonfiction in A Slip of the Keyboard. Once More* *with Footnotes did not remain in print, and is now considered a collector’s item.
Over the years, in addition to his wildly popular Discworld, Johnny Maxwell, and Nome books, Terry Pratchett has also written an assortment of short stories, articles, introductions, and ephemera. These have appeared in books, magazines, newspapers, anthologies, and program books, many of which are now hard to find. Here in one convenient volume, with introductory notes from Mr. Pratchett, are such elusive pieces as: The Hades Business, Once and Future, The Secret Book of the Dead, Hollywood Chickens, Turntables of the Night, Final Reward, Twenty Pence with Envelope and Seasonal Greeting, and more.
- “Terry Pratchett: The Man, The Myth, The Legend, The Beverage” (Introduction by Esther Friesner)
- “Apology” (Introduction by Terry Pratchett)
- “Hollywood Chickens”
- “Doctor Who?”
- “The Hades Business”
- “The Big Store”
- “Twenty Pence, with Envelope and Seasonal Greeting”
- “Paperback Writer”
- “Final Reward”
- “And Mind the Monoliths”
- “Theatre of Cruelty”
- Introduction to The Unseen University Challenge
- “2001: The Vision and the Reality”
- “High Tech, Why Tech?”
- “The Roots of Fantasy”
- Introduction to The Wyrdest Link
- “Thought Progress”
- “The Sea and Little Fishes”
- Introduction to The Leaky Establishment
- “Let There Be Dragons”
- “#ifdefDEBUG + 'world/enough' + 'time'”
- Foreword: Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable
- “The Story of Thud”
- “Death and What Comes Next”
- “Neil Gaiman: Amazing Master Conjurer”
- Introduction to The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Fantasy
- “Elves Were Bastards”
- “Medical Notes”
- “Sheer Delight”
- “The Orangutans Are Dying”
- "The Ankh-Morpork National Anthem"
- “Alien Christmas”
- “Turntables of the Night”
- “Cult Classic”
- “The Choice Word”
- “Whose Fantasy Are You?”
- “No Worries”
- “Troll Bridge”
- “The Faces of Fantasy/On Writing”
- “Imaginary Worlds, Real Stories”
- “The Secret Book of the Dead”
- “Magic Kingdoms”
- “Once and Future”
- “A Word about Hats”
- “The Titles That Got Away” (Afterword by Priscilla Olson)
These are episodes primarily devoted to discussing the book as a whole. See pages for individual pieces for episodes about them.
To be added.
Episodes where there's significant discussion of the book, but it's not the focus of the episode.
To be added.