The Long Earth (series)
The Long Earth is a series of five science fiction novels co-written by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter. They tell the story of what happens when technology is released publicly allowing nearly any human to “step” into one of an infinite number of parallel universes, spreading out across versions of Earth that get progressively stranger the further you go, but have one thing in common: humans didn’t evolve on any of them. The collection of worlds become known as “the Long Earth”, and the two directions in which humans can “step” are labelled East and West. The later novels move beyond Earth to Mars and the wider cosmos.
The Long Earth series comprises five novels:
- The Long Earth - primarily set in 2030, but also chronicles the history of the world since “Step Day” in 2015
- The Long War - set in 2040
- The Long Mars - set in 2045
- The Long Utopia - takes place mostly between 2052 and 2059, but also has a subplot set in the 1800s
- The Long Cosmos - set in 2070 and 2071
In addition, they draw on ideas first expressed by Terry in his short story “The High Meggas”, written around 1986 but not published until it was included in early editions of The Long Earth in 2012. It’s also collected in A Blink of the Screen.
- This is a link to the Long Earth category, as the L-Space wiki does not have an article for the series.